Tuesday 13 August 2013

The Cream Tea Diaries - Part 1

Harriet's Tea Rooms, Cambridge.

Harriet's is a delightful oldy-style tea room tucked away in a little side street in Cambridge's city center. The tea room's decor and the staff's period costumes really did make you feel as though you'd been transported to a bygone era.

My husband and I opted to share a 2 scone cream tea and a slice of warm almond cake. The freshly baked scones were delicious, served with plenty of jam and clotted cream. One thing I would say is that I prefer scones to be served warm but that's just me- they were still lovely.  You do get a choice between plain and fruit scones which is a really nice touch as so many places seem to offer only (my less preferred) fruit scones. The almond cake was also amazing, I could have eaten more but that's just me being greedy.

Though the service was quick, we never felt rushed and were able to take our time and enjoy the entire experience. The total bill came to just over £10 which is brilliant value when you consider the location. I'd recommend these tea rooms to anybody both young and old but especially those looking for a little something extra!

Harriet's also sell a variety of other dishes which looked lovely but sadly we had neither the room nor the budget for. Still, we enjoyed our visit so much we've decided to go back and treat ourselves to afternoon tea later this month. Would you believe, I've never had afternoon tea out before - I'm so excited!!



No comments:

Post a Comment